Wednesday

Sometimes when I’m driving to or from work, I see families just standing in weird spots beside the road. I wonder, did their car get stolen when they came on their big trip to Disney World? Or are they on foot and trying to decide where to go next. Disney World and the surrounding counties constitute a vast galaxy of points of sale. There are places to dump your money in all directions for miles: flea markets, bumper cars, airboat rides, helicopter rides, putt putt golf, bungie and other towering body sling shot type structures. But - It’s weird sometimes - I mean - they will be standing next to the highway and there’s nothing, they’re four or five exits from any of the attractions . . . standing there looking kind of bewildered. Have they decided to stake out these square feet of ‘paradise’ for themselves . . . as long as they are relatively close to Disney, it’s still paradise - and they're standing there - living it. I wonder if they are about to lose one of their family members to the allure of Disney - they’re trying to convince their dad or their son or their daughter not to wander off into the central Florida thicket - becoming a Disney homeless person. People come to Disney World to live homelessly - that is certain. I would. If I was going to be homeless, I’d do it in Florida.

6 comments:

r's musings said...

We took our kids to Disney World a few years ago. While riding back and forth between the parks, I looked at all the other, local drivers, wondering what they were thinking of us. :) I didn't think I'd like Disney, but it WAS beautiful there. And though I don't travel much, the Orlando airport was one of the nicest I've seen.

jeannie said...

Too hot in Florida. You've gotta be able to sleep in your car or on the street without cooking your brain.
I've wondered about a homeless guy that's just outside the metro stop. He's been there the entire 2 years I've been at this building, every day all day. Then suddenly for about a week he wasn't. His stuff was there, but no sign of him. Did he die? Did he go on vacation? Did he got to another corner with bigger donations? He's back now, same blank stare. Weird. I think I'm getting attached to him somehow without even talking to him.

Billy said...

earlier in the year my parents went to disneyland with my uncle. they said it was a good trip. i don't really dig amusement parks etc. one look is good enough for me i reckon

JR's Thumbprints said...

The best illustrators of today are in prison. Perhaps, upon release, they can help Disney with future projects and warn families about the dangers of acting like tourists.

The Mighty Kat said...

Homeless people can be some of the most widely recognized fixtures in a place, it's striking me thanks to Jeannie's post. They come up in conversation, there's a warmth when you share knowledge of this person with someone else who separately has knowledge of him...yet the good citizens of the place who own homes and hold jobs may live and die never being noticed by anyone...

Cindy-Lou said...

I would choose Florida too, so I would be able to wave to you when you drove by.