Sunday

What if you could find your place in life early, and establish yourself there, and then, with the whole rest of your life - dedicate it to enlightenment . . .

I am okay if I earn at least this much money: $__ per __.
I am okay if I live in a neighborhood with this much safety: __.
I am okay if I have a car that runs or some reasonable means of transportation.
I am okay if I have enough to eat.
Beyond this, I don’t need anymore stuff. I don’t need anymore money. Give it to somebody else. With my critical needs met, I am now free to think . . . about . . . whatever . . . WHATEVER I DECIDE IS IMPORTANT TO ME. Religion? Philosophy? Sociology? Literature? News? A combination of all of these that I COMBINE WITH MY OWN THINKING

I just want a bit of time to think. I think I can earn enough money to live on, and still have a lot of time to think. A lot of quality time to think. I can even do some of my own thinking as I work. Some. But I can get out that door at a reasonable time and get home and think. I can turn on the TV and ignore it and just think. I can turn on the radio, I can play some tunes, and I can think. I can read, and I can think. I can make guesses about whether there’s an after life, about whether ghosts exist. About justice - whether it exists. About what truly matters. Whether it matters only to me. Whether I should be trying to convince others. Whether I should let them be. Unless they ask.

4 comments:

r's musings said...

Great ruminations, Bobby. I've always felt that the two most important things in my life were to know God and to know why people do what they do. You're asking the same questions I've asked. Through a lot of searching, I've found a lot of answers. You will, too. Just keep questioning and opening your mind. I think Buddhists call it "beginner's mind." My yoga teacher told us to feel our bodies do what we do without judgment, just feel what it feels like to do your dishes, walk through your living space, sit in a chair, whatever you do; focused concentration on that particular event. It's like becoming the witness to your life. You'll start to see things differently. Interesting.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Bobby and Robin,
Love all this ruminating. I'd like to do the same thing, & maybe try a bigger city than Detroit to wander.

The Mighty Kat said...

Bobby Taoist

Anne said...

Thinking is over-rated. I do a hell of a lot of thinking. I never figure anything out. I'd rather "do" but "doing" is too scary, so....more thinking...