Wednesday

When I lived in DC, as I’ve probably written here before, I used to put up stickers all over the place. I’d print these mailing labels with weird sentences and paragraphs on them. I’d stick them on the commuter trains, on the backs of signs, on newspaper boxes... just about anywhere. Sometimes I’d be in a neighborhood after a long absence, and I’d see one of my stickers still there - six months later, a year. It was such a thrill. There’s one sticker I put up on the escalator outside of my job. I had seen other stickers stuck there, but they never lasted in that particular spot. The cleaning crew was very thorough. Mine lasted in that spot for some reason - they never scraped it off - all the way through my last day at that job. I saw it as I went down that escalator for the last time. I bet it’s still there.

I guess it lasted there because it was kind of official looking. No art work. Just words. It looked like a warning label or instructions or something. Small print. It was from an old blog post, it said roughly the following:

What if they forced you to sit there and type up every single memory you could recall from your entire life? Eventually your typed account would reach the present time, and the words you would type at this confluence would be these: I was forced to sit here. I was forced to type. I was typing. I was typing. I was typing. Now I continue to type. I'm typing. I'm typing.

11 comments:

ctale said...

You are brilliant

jeannie said...

It's still there waiting for you

Dave said...

Dude, that is awesome. I mean it. Guerrilla poetics - I'm all for it!

The Mighty Kat said...

You rock*

r's musings said...

Interesting post, Bobby! Reminds me of that movie with Robin Williams, "Final Cut." Have you seen it? He's a "cutter," a man who takes all the videos of a person and edits them into a final video to be played at the person's funeral (if I remember correctly), but through editing, he can erase things about the person. Sort of creepy, but interesting how it all comes together in the end.

potentially lethal said...

I know I've said this before, but, I love reading your blog.

The idea of the stickers is one that I can totally relate to.

I wonder if graffitti artists get the same type of thrill when they see their artwork years later...

Not that I am comparing the two, though.

If I ever see a sticker with a thought provoking idea on it - I'll think of you.

Cindy-Lou said...

I have a sticker on the visor in my car that says "33% more carbs, bro!" is that thought provoking enough?

P.S. where's the picture?

Anne said...

If I was forced to do that It'd be a very short piece... My memory sucks.
But yes, I don't say it enough, but I love reading you, too, man. You think about things in just the right way....

Bobby said...

We should all put stickers all over everything! Everywhere we go!

Or just all over advertisements and places where they bombard you with 'message' anyway.

I wouldn't recommend walking up to the Washington Monument and spray painting the word 'dudey head' on it.

Cindy-Lou said...

I saw an ad in Rolling Stone magazine for make your own stickers, 100 for $25. I thought of you.

TheWhiteSeal said...

I just found your blog, has been a great read! Just thought it may interest you to know, a while back i managed to find a british labels company who printed me some mailing labels for a really low price. If interested then it may be worth taking a look at their website.