Thursday

Florida is a great place to learn how to be old. For personal reasons, I’ve decided that I do indeed want to grow old - no rock star life span for me, hopefully. I want to be mall walkin into my eighties or nineties. I have determined that I will never be able to save up enough money to retire luxuriously - or even comfortably. How much money is a person supposed to save up for retirement? The equivalent of five years salary? Ten? Fifteen? It depends on the kind of lifestyle you want in retirement. It’s the lifestyle crush that breaks people.

I’ve decided that I had better learn how to live cheaply. In Florida , I can learn from the professionals. I learn so much by watching old folks. Listen to them at the cash register, the little tricks they know, the deals, look at the stuff they buy. Look where they live. Look at how they dress. Look at the hours they keep. They know where to be and when to get there - to get the early bird specials.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting view of aging. Are there a lot of retirees where you live in Florida? There seem to be a lot of Michiganders who live six months here, during spring & summer, then move to Florida for the winter, and back again.

Les said...

Hmmm, I should start watching the old folks around here ... got us tons o' them around here. Victoria is known as the city of the newly wed and the nearly dead. You're either a university student or a retiree ... but then that doesn't explain what I, Mr Thirty Something Something, is doing here.

Oh yeah, the women, that's right. Seems like they out number us two to one in this town. Ha ha ... just kidding. (Kind of ...) It's the job that's keeping me around.

I'm making good $$$ right now but that doesn't mean I'll any left when I'm old and gray. At least, that's how it's looking like at the moment ...

I'm gonna start my career as a bank robber when I turn sixty and live high off a wild crime spree until they catch me.

Prison is my retirement plan.

Anonymous said...

"prison is my retirement plan" i REALLY like that quote a lot. i think i am going to use it too, as a quote, not as a plan...

i think you would do better examining the lives of single parents who only have one income...because when you are old and gray you wont have kiddies running around that need to be fed and diapered (...unless you are dirty old man and got some poor, unsuspecting woman knocked up...haha). and plus, retirement, from what i can tell, kills. you sit around complaining, wearing ill fitting clothing, going to the doctor constantly, waiting for someone to call you. if you continue to work, or at least volunteer, you will be enaged in life and live longer. of course some money will be needed, as social security will be out the window by that time....sonya

Billy said...

cool. i have a uncle in florida. i wonder how he lives. when he came to the caribbean he had loads of cash.