Sunday

More complaints, it’s all I’m good for lately: When somebody is talking talking talking, and you have to compete with the person to talk, they’ll talk over you, every subject you bring up - they have some comment on - no matter how uninformed - and even if they realize they are uninformed on a subject - they’ll talk and laugh and joke about that: “I know absolutely nothing about that, that must not have anything to do with anything, I don’t care about that, people actually care about that? I’d rather talk about this other subject - namely - me, and all the things that I do and my opinions. Why would you bring up something like that which I have no comment on, which I have no knowledge of . . .” It becomes a contest, who can get their speeches in, sometimes you say something, and then they start talking, they’re trying to talk over you, and you refuse to stop talking because it’s always you who stops talking, and it’s you who yields the floor to this babbling, hyperactive bratt - so you’re talking and they’re talking and everybody else is looking back and forth between you two like it’s a tennis match . . . I start to shut down. I start to wonder why the hell I was talking anyway. It’s just chatting, small talk, or maybe not small talk - maybe it’s heady stuff - maybe you’re saying important stuff - but it has nothing to do with the task at hand - you’re talking philosophy at work or something. It’s not important to the work at hand, but it is important to you. And maybe others in the room would like to join you in what you’re talking about, but that one babbling bully keeps cutting in on your pieces. So I just resolve myself to . . . what’s the diference? Who cares what anybody talks about? Ever? Let’s just reduce ourselves to mute fuckin animals. No need to have mutually dynamic conversations where each person present contributes and in this way each person present benefits from the knowledge of everybody else and everybody present gains an appreciation and an empathy with everybody else and everybody’s understanding of everybody else’s plight and position and lot and situation in life is understood just a bit better - and you actually have brilliant conversations while you slave away at work --- NO THAT IS JUST SIMPLY NOT ALLOWED BY THE BIG MOUTHED, CONVERSATION BULLY!! So I just shut up and do whatever I’m there to do - like at work. So the person who dominates the conversation - you’re forced to hear what they say. And again, none of the talk is important to what’s actually going on - everybody has exactly the same justification to talk. But this one person just keeps yacking and yacking. So I start making little noises: huffs, puffs, pshh, ffff, ssss, “gyawd,” “ah man” ...each time the conversation hijacker starts up a new thought - and they do vocalize every single thought that occurs to them - each time they start up a new thought, I go “Ah, man....” And they don’t know if it’s because I’ve goofed up something I’m doing on my computer, if I’m pissed that they’re talking again... so that’s kind of funny. And when a person is constantly talking about everything in their life, when they expose so much of themselves: A. They must be a little out of balance... like... mentally. B. They expose their own folly. One should feel sorry for a person who is A. mentally off balance. But it’s hard to feel sorry for a bully. And when they B. expose their own folly, IT GIVES YOU AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A LITTLE SNIPING! That’s right. Whether you do it to try to help them, or to try and shut them down a little, when they talk and talk and talk and talk and finally they expose a fault in themselves, you pounce. For example, the conversation hog might say somethin like, “God. After this long day at work, I have to go home and do my kid’s science project.” And then I said, “Why do you do your kid’s work? How’s he going to learn for himself?” ...and then bang, retreat! I mean, I should not have said it, because now she’s reeling - trying to recover - “Oh, well, I don’t do it all, I mean, I just get him started, I mean ... er ...um, he needs a little help...” And the conversation bully is suprised that you have interjected here - that you have questioned her or challenged her on this point. Why now? Why do I dare to speak now? And she’s already talked and talked and talked all day, and maybe she’s a little weary from all the talkin and maybe she was finally about to shut up and I pounced on this one little thing that she said so now she has to explain in thorough detail the complete situation - like she has to start at the beginning - the circumstances of the kid’s birth and his learning up to this point and pretty soon the conversation bully is telling you how she actually got married wearing a black mourning dress and combat boots that she painted pink because she wanted to work somehow work the bad mojo out early on because her life already seemed like one big jinx up to this point . . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes yes! This species is rampant! You nailed it!

Anonymous said...

Your comeback was great! Parents need to let their children do their own work. People can be so rude, monopolizing the whole conversation. I used to love to listen to people tell their story, get to know them, etc. I'm not as intrigued anymore. I've learned that it's not helpful if I listen to their nagging, complaining, etc. ad infinitum. So, at a certain point, I just say, "I'm sure you'll work it out somehow." and move on... Great post, Bobby.

Anonymous said...

So many idiots, such a waste of time! So you have met my dad

Bobby said...

Hey you! I didn't know you dropped in here1 I knew you dropped in, but I didn't know you left me a note! Hey hey hey. Hey, I gotta hook up my myspace jank. I don't know how though. Man.