Friday

I haven’t had the true blogging oomph in a while now. I’m not comfortable enough at work to start the all out blogging campaign - not yet - but really - I’m suffering a general indecisive . . . somethin . . .

Like many writer wannabees (but unlike many other writer wannabees), I have been trying to come up with a Writing Plan. What should I write? Poems? Short Stories? Essays? Memoir? I wander around the bookstore - the BOOK STORE SECTIONS - wondering where I could shove something. Lately I’ve been hanging around the comedy sections in book stores. It is really more wide open than one would think. I’m excited about the comedy section because there you find books like the following:

This Book Will Change Your Life by Benrik

The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman

. . . maybe I could pull off some wanked out scatter brained variety book like this with pranks and jokes and weird plans and what-ifs and scenarios and weird bits of wisdom and knowledge.

Also I’m excited about books like the following which can also be found in comedy sections, . . . books that come from brilliant ideas - books which write themselves - or are not really written at all by the authors but edited - written by the public - like sociology experiments or something --- once they’re conceived they accumulate and form on their own - books that are interactive and so very in touch with the people who’d actually be reading them:

Suggestion by Illegal Art, Michael McDevitt, and Otis Kriegel

My Secret: A PostSecret Book (Postsecret) by Frank Warren

Found: The Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World by Davy Rothbart

All of that reminds me of this, which I find incredibly fascinating and brilliant and noble, and I wish I could think of something on this scale:


GREETINGS FROM NEW ORLEANS - An Experiment in Found Art


Right now, I’m reading:

The Lay of the Land by Richard Ford

. . . I like it, but it’s really kind of sad. It’s sad in that the main character is going through shakey times: cancer, divorce, weird second marriage - but it’s also sad in that the main character is a salesman type who totally encapsulates perspective buyers and people in general and just sums people up and pretty much reads them like account balance slips ... reduces them . .. and he seems pretty hung up on fashions and money and name brands and materialism - but I guess that's the characterization - but it gets old . . . I mean - his observations gradually work toward something more, more profound, but not really - not mostly - I don’t know - I can’t put the book down, I'm enjoying it - so I guess I don’t know what to make of it -- I’ll tell you this - IT’S THE FUNNIEST BOOK I’VE READ IN A WHILE - I mean this dude is funny - I think I first read Richard Ford when I read an essay of his about punching people in the face - I think - I think it was in one of those yearly “The Best American Essays” books - anyway I’m sitting there laughing out loud at his book in the miserable lunch room at work lately - with a table to myself eatin my salad and blah blah this post will just trail off into nothing right about . . . here

3 comments:

Billy said...

you could write anything u wish. poetry or short fiction. screenplays even. am getting into writing short stories in screenplay rhythm.

Anonymous said...

Bobby, You are NOT a writer wannabe. You are a true writer. You write on inspiration plus out of duty, and what's more, you write very well. Would a plan for writing really work for you? You don't seem like the type, but I can't know.

Les said...

You are NOT a writer wannabe.

Seconded.