Thursday

Because I am not at all career minded, I’m free to say and do a lot more at work than a lot of the other people there - people who are concerned about appearances. I say things that stun them. It’s an incredible freedom. It’s great fun. They have no way of responding. They are only able to smile and try to find some sort of escape route from this conversation they have fallen into - with me. Escape before you are seen talking to the freak temp guy. The looks on their faces make me laugh when I’m thinking about them later.

5 comments:

The Mighty Kat said...

temp...by association...do you watch The Office? I think you'd love it nearly as much as I do...

Bobby said...

I love it! It's on tonight!

The Mighty Kat said...

Bobby, I wish you lived in Oregon!

Bobby said...

Hey! I did one of those questionnaires where they figure out the best place for you to live, and three of those cities were in Oregon!

marymaddux6272 said...

Maybe give subbing a try? That's all I'm doing. I had my own desk job in advertising none-the-less for 10 years and can attest to the soul-bereft nature of them. I have been on a quest to find meaningful work for the past couple of years and have really lucked out. Last year, I worked as an individual aide for an eleven-year-old boy who has autism. He is an amazing kid. Helping him navigate the school day was incredibly rewarding. If my family hadn't left Chicago, I might be working with him still. Because of the no child left behind act, lots of schools have openings for people to help special needs kids integrate into the general ed classroom. It is another idea. Best of luck to you.