Saturday

Walgreens had a sale on colored T-shirts, five for ten dollars. I went in and bought some. I picked out all different colors. When I got them home and took them out of the bag, each T-shirt - because of its color - reminded me of a T-shirt I used to wear of the same color - but the ones I was reminded of had logos or writing on them stating whatever purpose my life had at that time. The green T-shirt reminded me of the green T-shirt I wore when I worked at Great Big Greenhouse in highschool. The T-shirts reminded me of little league soccer team jerseys I’d worn. They reminded me of bands - concerts - where I bought the T-shirt. They reminded me of surf shop skate shop T-shirts and times that I tore them or bled on them or sweat or burned holes in them... Who would have thought that newly purchased, colored T-shirts - with no writing on them - could be such memory triggers?

3 comments:

Cindy-Lou said...

I've found that the most random things are memory triggers. The way something happens to be laying on the floor, the certain tone in someone's voice, and especially smells.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I use my old t-shirts to clean the rat cage in my living room, tarnishing whatever good memories we had together.

Bobby said...

So . . . you raise rats huh? I see.