Thursday

I was sitting in traffic the other day breathing in exhaust fumes... I wanted to open my window and scream at everybody in traffic with me: All you fuckers know you're going to get cancer from these fumes, right? I already know I'll get cancer [heredity], I'm just telling all of you! I just don't know how the environmentalist message will ever penetrate the brains out there when all the brains out there are marinated with the cruisin life style. I'm nothing without my car. My car defines me. It sooo defines me... let's go cruisin' ...and the way our world is now designed, you can't get anywhere without a car - unless you're in a major major metro.

If the fumes don't get ya, the other drivers will. The way some people drive - they should just drive to a prison and ask that they be let in.

The little roadside memorials - crosses with little Teddy bears that mark the site where somebody wrecked their car and died . . . they don't slow anybody down.

The two biggest health risks: drivin and drivin

* * * * *

And because I am trying to completely bum you out - just to finish you off: When my mom died, a couple of days later, Frank Sinatra died. Back when my brother died, a few days later, Princess Dianna died. There are all kinds of memory triggers - that bring back those hard times - songs, obviously - movies, I guess - headlines... but celebrity deaths too? Not sure what famous person died when my dad died. Not sure what that means either.

4 comments:

Bruce Hodder said...

I don't drive. Never have, never want to. I live twelve miles away from my job and have to catch a bus at a quarter to seven in the morning to be at work for 8 o'clock. Everybody thinks I'm insane, but the world is beautiful early in the morning--winter or summer. Yesterday I stepped out of my door under a brilliant silver moon and got to walk down to the bus stop while the dawn chorus was happening all around me on every tree, bush, tv aerial and chimney. Then I could sit on the bus and read two Cantos by Ezra Pound before the bus reached town.

At a meeting last week my manager berated the staff this way: "I can't believe I employ so many non-drivers. You are all limiting your lives so badly."

Not me, brother.

Karen said...

Closet date was Aug. 23rd work your way up. Major ones are John Ritter, Johnny Cash, & Sheb Wooley (wierd Grammy use to call me Purple people eater when i got my retainer)

Earl Hindman, actor best known as Wilson on Home Improvement, died December 29 at the age of 61.
Alan Bates, actor, died December 27 at the age of 69.
Hope Lange, actress best known for the tv series The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, died December 19 at the age of 70.
Robert Stanfield, one time leader of the Progressive Conservatives, died December 16 at the age of 89.
David Hemmings, actor best known for Blow Up, died December 3 at the age of 62.
Warren Spahn, Hall of Fame pitcher, died December 1 at the age of 82.
Art Carney, comic actor, died November 9 at the age of 85.
Bobby Hatfield, musician best known as part of the Righteous Brothers, died November 5 at the age of 63.
Rod Roddy, announcer best known as the voice of The Price Is Right, died October 27 at the age of 66.
Madame Chiang Kai-shek, wife of the famous Chinese leader, died October 23 at the age of 105.
Bill Shoemaker, famed jockey, died October 12 at the age of 72.
Izzy Asper, media tycoon who founded CanWest Global Communications died October 7 at the age of 71.
Elia Kazan, director known for films such as On the Waterfront and A Streetcar Named Desire, died September 28 at the age of 94.
Donald O'Connor , actor best known for Singing' in the Rain, died September 27 at the age of 78.
Robert Palmer, musician best known for Addicted to Love, died September 26 at the age of 54.
George Plimpton, author, died September 25 at the age of 76.
Edward Said, Columbia University professor and spokesman for the Palestinian cause, died September 24 at the age of 67.
Gordon Jump, actor best known as the Maytag Repairman, died September 22 at the age of 71.
Sheb Wooley, musician best known for Purple People Eater, died September 16 at the age of 82.
Johnny Cash, musician, died September 12 at the age of 71.
John Ritter, actor best known for tv sitcom Three's Company, died September 11 at the age of 54.
Edward Teller, father of the hydrogen bomb, died September 9 at the age of 95.
Leni Riefenstahl, director best known for Triumph of the Will, died September 8 at the age of 101.
Charles Bronson, actor best known for the Death Wish series, died August 31 at the age of 81.
Bobby Bonds, baseball star now best known as Barry Bonds father, died August 23 at the age of 57.

Bobby said...

George Plimpton and Johny Cash -- that's right. I remember now. Charles Bronson.

I don't know -- I think when daddy/grampa died, I was so numb and done by then -- I didn't know what to think -- I was so out of it. He was like the main support beam of the whole clan, you know?

I think I was just trying not to think. Trying not to take in any kind of songs or movies or celebrities or culture.

Karen said...

Yea, life pretty much sucked about that point! No offense to the dead but who gave a crap who died we didn't know! Our heroe who could accomplish and succeed at whatever he put his hands to, who we could depend on for anything from friendship to trust to teaching had just taught us the best lesson of all! How to live life to the fullest, to believe in life and to want it and enjoy every moment to the very end! Who else would have been in an ambulance and hospital all night and than eat donuts and shoot a game of pool for breakfast! Only one man could enjoy every moment with you and treasure if for what it was worth, a second in time you'll never get back! Life as we loved it would never be the same! Change sucks! Death sucks! Regret sucks! Love ya! Miss ya!