Sunday

The place where I’m temping has just hired me. I should be thrilled, I guess. Hey - it’s more money, and I get healthcare and free college if I want (what to study... hmm). This is my routine. I do these temp jobs, and sometimes they want to hire me (sometimes they don’t want to hire me [or they really really don’t want to hire me]). I work there a while, and then I then I quit. Whatever. I’m free to do what I want.

So far, the following companies have hired me (or wanted to) while I was temping for them, I mention only these for a reason:

Amerigroup - Medical info tech or something - reports guy, basically - I ran queries and did reports
Verizon - reports guy, basically
Burke & Herbert Bank - Administrative Aid in security/fraud or whatever
Union Labor Life Insurance Company - claims and then proposal writer

And now, here I am again - going permanent at Brand X Company. At any one of these places, I could have made a career. I tell you - I’m going to write a book one day called A Slacker’s Guide to Getting By - because a slacker can get by. I tell you this too: There ARE jobs out there - all kinds of jobs. You might not find them right away, and they might not seem great at first, but if you’re looking hard enough for work, you’ll find it. And really - it’s what you make of it. And really - you get out of it what you put into it. My last job, at Union Labor Life, I really started to get into it and bust my ass and really really like the people I was working with, and I was lucky to have the coolest bosses in the world... but... the time came, conditions changed, and I headed out. Florida. I always had wanted to try Florida. My girlfriend got her dream job there. So I went. But... Florida sucks. (So far.)

4 comments:

The Mighty Kat said...

Congratulations on the offer! Can't believe I'm the first one to catch this post. It's nice to be asked, right? Wasn't clear whether you accepted - I guess you did? Hope it helps on coping with Florida.

R's Musings said...

Congratulations, Bobby! Always remember, wherever you go, there you are...

Bobby said...

R! I'm having trouble getting to your page! What's goin on? I'm going to your page, and the latest post is one from August. Do I have the wrong link? I'm so out of it. I think I goofed up my links or somethinsc

JR's Thumbprints said...

I've been at my current position for fifteen years and things are beyond stale. There are days where I wish they'd lay me off. As for Florida, you can have it; I'll stay right here in the highest unemployment state of Michigan.