Wednesday

Some people can not function under normal circumstances. Normal is too normal. When it seems that there is every opportunity for things to go well - their environment is safe, stable and sane - they still fret and stress and fuss, and they find peril or invent it or reach out for some trouble or sadness or madness. It’s like that ‘warrior during peacetime’ theme. With these people, you think about it and come to the conclusion that these people belong in a disaster area.

Maybe with me, I shouldn’t be looking for a particular job or region or climate. Maybe I should be thinking about average relative adversity, not average relative humidity. Temperment not temperature. I pick all the flowers in pretty meadows, and I lay them all over the grave yard.

4 comments:

Anne said...

I'm trying very hard to not do that anymore. But yes, I am one of those people. Stressing makes me aware. I think sometimes if I didn't stress over that upcoming "thing" then it'd just slip my mind. Then I'd be stressed that I missed the appointment or etc.
So yes, self-imposed stress. I think it's partially genetic. My mom did lots of stressing too. I never did any stressing til she died. Then it was like...it was my time to take over the mantle of stressing, ya know? Or, maybe cuz she was there she'd take care of everything and I never had to worry. Or that.

I hope you aren't a worrier. It's a hell of a life.

Bobby said...

I am a worrier...

You have had some serious stuff go down in your life, Anne, and it seems to me you're sorting it out in your writings. I don't think you invent anything, and you're about the most honest person I've met out there.

pernicious said...

We at the Sea are mysterious and guarded. Always sure that there is a interloper in our midst and taps on the phone. We cast lots and drink vodka and look for answers and signs in coffee grounds and fresh dog droppings. We are in your television and have investigated the lower shelves of your refrigerator.

Anne said...

Wow. Where'd that come from?? But yea. I'm tryin.
Thank's for noticing...
But...just because you don't dredge every detail of your psyche up onto your blog all the time doesn't mean you aren't sorting shit out too. You just do it in a more creative, oblique way. I can see alot of similarities between us. Hell, that's why I keep coming back. You're as honest as I am. Moreso sometimes. You Rock, Bobby.