Thursday

People at work call me Robert. That’s my official name - like on my birth certificate and diploma and license and all. It’s on all the paperwork - applications for employment and so on. Usually though, people eventually ask me, “Do you go by Robert all the time? Or is it Robby? Rob? Bob?”

“Bobby,” I say. Nobody at my current job has asked me about this yet. I’ve been there ten months now. I don’t care enough to bring it up. They don’t care enough to be curious about it. It was awkward anyway - in my previous jobs - it took everybody a while to catch on . . . only the people closest to me would start calling me Bobby. Everybody else wondered who the hell Bobby was and continued to call me Robert.

There isn’t really anybody around to call me Bobby. My sisters and nephews and niece and old friends in other states call me Bobby, and Keri calls me Bobby. My bloggin friends call me Bobby. But I don’t have any friends in fuckin Florida, so there’s nobody but Keri to call me Bobby down here. At the few little poetry readings I was going to here they called me Bobby. At Panera and other restaurants they ask for your first name when you order. I tell them Bobby - only because I miss being called by my cool name. Kind of sad, huh? It’s not just that I’m getting older (Robert sounds more mature than Bobby), it’s that there’s nobody around who cares enough to call me by my cool name - Bobby. Is this what happens to you?

11 comments:

Rurality said...

It could be worse... My husband let someone at his old job call him "Dennis" for 6 months before she finally realized that it was not his name. (Not even close.)

Anonymous said...

i've gone the opposite way...sort of. i was always called a combination of my middle and first name with my family and extended family. with my friends and the outside world i only went by my first name.

now that i am getting older i am going back to the first and middle name of my childhood, and for the first time in my life i'm calling myself this longer name. kind of odd but i like it.

jenny said...

hi bobby!

i always put jennifer on business cards because it sounds more professional than jenny, but then it makes me crazy when co-workers actually call me jennifer.

and for some reason i'm kind of charmed when people i don't know well jump to calling me jen. like the lady at the corner sandwich shop.

Logtar said...

I call you skullbolt

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I've always been Steve, and have given little or no thought to nicknames. You rep yourself as Bobby, so Bobby you will always be to me.

cat said...

Having just met you, I shall always call you Bobby... as long as you never call me Cathy. ;)

Pacian said...

I just always use the abbreviated form of my name for everything, and that's what people call me. I haven't been arrested or anything.

Yet.

The Mighty Kat said...

so when you leave Florida, it'll be that much easier to leave your alien identity/experience there behind...

Billy said...

i got mad nicknames from beast to ghost rider.

Bobby said...

What's up Beast!

Yep, a clean get away Kat.

Not arrested yet, huh? There's still time.

Hi Cat! I wouldn't do it.

How about Stevezy?

Hey Logtar.

Jennifer oh Jenny. That was a De La Soul song.

sAssY brOwn said...

Bobby is a cute name. My dad is Robert & but he's always been Bobby & then later on Bob. ATo frineds & family, he's Big Bobby (cuz he's the man) or Bobert.