Sunday

I dread grocery shopping. People bump you, they block you, and they ram you with their carts. I was in the grocery store today, and I started to wonder: Is it possible to decide to be happy... and then - just be happy - in the grocery store... I heard a couple of goofy ladies a couple of aisles over laughing their butts off about something. I saw a worker stocking shelves, she was singing along with the song on the store’s stereo system. The grocery store’s stereo system is the one thing that actually can cheer me up at the grocery store. More and more often I will catch a song playing in the store that I actually like. Are grocery stores playing better music? Or am I just getting old? Or are my musical tastes far too broad? Can’t I just be happy? Even at the grocery store? Can I be happy and still pull of my writer wannabe angst? Here’s a question: Can I avoid getting in a fight in the grocery store... or whatever public place? How often do you actually see fights in public places? When was the last fight you saw in public? People don’t get in fights in public - usually, mostly... I don't know - you see on the news when a fight really escalates - somebody pulls a gun and they make the evening news. The last serious fight I saw was at a Greyhound Station in DC... about four years ago. These two big dudes duked it out and ended up wrestling on the floor - trapping some poor bystander underneath them. The security guard came along with one of those retractable night stick things and beat one guy on the leg until he let go of the other guy, and then the cops came. Then those two dummies went to DC jail.

9 comments:

Cindy-Lou said...

I love grocery store music. But I love cheesy love songs, so it's really quite perfect for me.

I'm hungry.

Les said...

Dude, cheer up ...

:)

I see fights in public quite often (a couple of tweaker chicks going at in front of a convenience store about a week ago) but that probably has to do more about where I go to find my writing material then anything else ...

Les said...

But then again, you don't have to worry too much about people pulling guns on you up here in Canada ...

Most problems can be solved with your fists.

Although, that is slowing changing.

Karen P said...

I can honestly say that here in Mayberry last night at 11:30 when I was at Wal-Mart (of course) we almost had a fight! Luckly they just got a few words in before management and a police officer showed them the door! Of course that's going to happen there is nowhere else to go around here you are going to run into people you like and the ones you don't. I mean in VA you had IHOP open 24 hours Barnes & Nobles was open pretty late, just to mention a few! We have Wal-Mart for our 24 hour delight!

Bobby said...

I'm never in the right place at the right time.

joe said...

WalMart is the place that is most hostile around here. I saw a fight in the parking lot there last year.

The people that frequent this particular Walmart are complete lunatics. My brother's girlfriend refuses to shop there anymore because it creeps her out too much.

Rurality said...

In Alabama, we have them in the statehouse. Nobody went to jail but I'm sure there will be a lawsuit.

Les said...

Hey dood! Speak of the devil ...

Bobby said...

Wow, man. Did you get into something?

I saw that thing in Alabama rurality. Wow, old school. Getting punched in the face just plane sucks.

Hey Joe. I can't go in WalMart anymore.