Saturday

At work the other day, a co-worker was sitting in the breakroom looking at the Orlando Sentinel article about that terrible airplane crash in Sanford, Florida. We were commenting about how terrible it was, a kid got third degree burns over eighty percent of his body. Five people died, I think. She said it reminded her of something that happened in her town in Kentucky when she was a freshman in high school. She said one of the worse bus accidents in history occurred there. The wreck killed a bunch of kids from her school and burned a bunch of others. She described how kids came to school - her friends - and they had burns, and they had grief counciling and psychiatrists and so on. And she’s telling me all this in the break room at lunch in that setting, that context of lunch time chatting and inane conversations and people microwaving their food and stuff. I said that it was the most terrible thing I’d ever heard. And we just got quiet. I didn't know what else to say. It's tough to come up with something to say in a situation like that because you don't know where the tragedy fits into their psyche - like is she still kind of grieving over it now - twenty years later almost - or if I acted all consolatory, would it just be ridiculous and awkward or more harmful than good because it dredges up grief that she's already dealt with and put away... And then somebody else walked up and started a new conversation - about purses or shoes or something. Sometimes life has absolutely no logical context. You’re flung from one situation or conversation to another with no warning or preparation. I mean - I was just headed down to the break room to try to snag a piece of pizza or cake or something.

7 comments:

Pacian said...

Either life isn't a story, or no-one taught the Fates about pacing.

annie said...

i like how the trees look, in this.
any idea what kind they are?
glad you like the widget-me too.

lostinsc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bobby said...

I'm not sure what type of tree, but that's a whole lot of Spanish Moss hanging down.

At that lake walk you can see alligators swimming around. They don't come out of the water much - that I know of . ..

The Mighty Kat said...

yeah, you say the logical thing to say, it doesn't fit in. Word.

Love the groovy tunes. You should burn me a CD.

Daniel said...

I hear people talking about unspeakable horrors all the time, on the bus and in line at the cafeteria and in the elevator, and they treat mutilations and tragedies with less emotion than they describe sporting losses or television programs. I can't tell if I need to care less or they need to care more but damn there are a lot of people who just don't seem to be bothered by stuff that leaves me unable to listen to anything anymore for the rest of the day.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a recent call: I was in the back of the ambulance with a kid my daughters age (her friend from school actually). She had broken her wrist pretty bad, and I was trying to keep her spirits up. She told me she was having a bad month because her cousin had just been run over & killed by a car. What do you say to that???? I'm so sorry & then pretty much silence the rest of the trip.