Thursday

Every time I leave home and visit a different town, I wonder whether I could make it in that new town. Where would I live? Where I would work? If it is a pretty rural place, jobs would probably be scarce. I might not be able to find a cushy cubicle job with an all day internet connection. I have no skills. I would have to scramble for my living. I'd have to take whatever I could get out in the country.

Maybe I’d become a truck driver. I’d buy up every book on CD I could and listen to them during long hauls. I'd listen to foreign language lessons on CD. I’d get an audio recorder and babble into that thing all day. Do truckers still have CB’s? Talking on a CB would be like going in a chatroom.

Maybe I would start a business. I tell you - one service that is needed in some of the counties around where I live - these people need somebody to haul the junk off their land. I mean: You’re driving through the country, and it’s all scenic and serene, and suddenly there’s a yard with all kinds of crap strewn all over: washing machines, old cars, rusty old tractors, trailers missing wheels... Maybe I’d get a roll-back wrecker and just haul junk to the junk yard. Or I’d sell vintage auto parts on the internet. Ching!

I don't know...what else do they do out in the country? Logging? I don’t know if I could do logging. I would saw my own leg off or hit somebody with a falling tree or get mauled by a bear or beaten up by other loggers or something. And I don’t like the idea of cutting down trees, I guess that sounds...whatever...

It seems that if you buy the right machine, you can really make a lot of loot. Just buy a machine and start a business. Pressure washing or something like that. Tiller? ...for some tilling? Whatever.

What would you do if you uprooted and then planted somewhere new?





... and I posted this Prefuse 73 video because it's cool.

8 comments:

Billy said...

chatting on CB is mad kewl. my bro in ny who is a licensed ham hates Cb though. but i love wild west atmosphere of it.

lluviation said...

logging is a bad idea....they always seem to be in debt because the equipment is mad expensive.

Anonymous said...

I would buy a hose and go hose people down who needed hosing for a flat fee of $100 per person

TaraDharma said...

oh jeez, i think about this alot. Really. sometimes I dream of very manual labor outdoors...though I know my poor body would not hold up. in a small town...hmmm...work in the library! you get to know everyone.

Miss K said...

i think about this sometimes too... sometimes i wish i could just vanish and move to some small place and start all over.

i am in heaven when i see a junk yard or something of the like though, on that note, because i love taking pictures in those places. :)

karen p said...

Small town would be honored to have ya! Comment on miss k junk makes great pics! A few years ago I saw this awesome pic of a piece of junk vw bug with its driver door open and a single flower growing in between the door and car! I have regreted not buying that picture for over 4 years now!

Bobby said...

love ya!

Frat Stud said...

Guys from my high school used to chat on the cb all of the time, it was no big deal.