Sunday

JUST TURN THE THING ON AND START TYPING: Daylight savings ends, fall back, do I know what time it is: I've been blogging five and a half years. I've been in Florida for a year and a half. I'm cold this morning. I have a sweater on. And shorts. I woke up and I can't go back to sleep. It’s Sunday. Normallly I'd get up and start getting ready for work except I don't work on Sundays. There’s definitely work to do. I could go to work right now - there’d be plenty to do. Managers would be glad. There might be somebody there working right now. Who knows? My cubicle neighbor said she was coming in today (yeah right [maybe, actually]). Overtime is allowed. The money is needed because of the upcoming holidays.

Starting tomorrow, Monday, when I leave work, it will be dark outside for sure - even if I leave on time. I've been leaving work late - in the dark hours anyway - with all the overtime. I leave home to go to work when it's dark, and on my way home from work, it's dark. The only daylight I see is at lunch time or when I sneak outside for breaks - breaks that used to be smoke breaks - but which are now just sunlight breaks or stand in the rain breaks. I have been off cigarettes six years.

It's time for the inevitable seasonal depression. It comes about because of the lower temperatures. It comes about because of the upcoming holidays. I get depressed because I can never seem to get the right gifts for all the people on my list. I can’t even get my list right. Some people are no longer on the list. There are new people on the list. Some people on the list - I have no idea what to get them.

7 comments:

Cindy-Lou said...

During the bleak winter months it is so important to sneak outside during the day if only to snatch a few minutes of sunshine.

Karen P said...

You are the best gift! Your companionship, love, concern, and humor there is nothing better! To get a gift from you is to know how much you are thought about! Every gift you have ever given has been from the heart! Kung fu fighting hamster still an awesome hit with me, Tori will play with it for hours if I let her and Bradley quiets down when it's on! The baby monitor I use every day! Now the purse with the rat in it- I love the purse, the rat completely your touch, did I mention how far I threw it when I opened it!!!!!! YOU ARE THE BEST GIFT ANYBODY ON YOUR LIST COULD RECEIVE! IF THEY DON'T AGREE THEY SHOULDN'T BE ON YOUR LIST! I LOVE YOU & I MISS YOU!

Bobby said...

Love ya Karen!

Miss K said...

i know the feeling. this year i dont have money to buy anyone gifts. i dont know what i am going to do!

TaraDharma said...

i'm in the same boat, financially, miss k. I'm making cookies for everyone this year -- anyone who is important to me knows it's a lean year. Another good gift is a framed photo of oneself. Buy the frames cheap and some discount store.

Seasonal depression: we put so much on ourselves this time of year. The best gift we can give our loved ones is time; time and taking good care of ourselves.

I am spittin' mad to see christmas decorations up already. It's all about retail, baby.

~The Mighty Kat~ said...

Well, you can get me a full-spectrum lamp for my dark corner of the basement where I stare at a computer all day, because those are supposed to keep cube workers happy despite the nocturnal and artificial circumstances that daylight savings time makes even more pronounced. And I'll give you Vitamin D3 and chocolate, cuz they're supposed to help, too. Also they're cheaper than what you're getting me, so I can be all smug about something, which helps in any depression...

Jerry Mehalovich said...

I've been waiting to set aside my normal bland depression. Seasonal depression at least sounds like it tastes better...(insert laughter here)