Wednesday



Chaos doesn't exactly rule where I work, I mean: chaos doesn't rule outright, chaos is more like a cranky supervisor with life issues, uneven attendance and considerable (though inexplicable) influence.



Often there doesn't seem to be a rule, so I take my own direction. Then I discover that there was, in fact, a rule - that I was supposed to be doing a thing a certain way - a different way than I had been doing it. And I realize that huge blocks of work I'd just done - and maybe even some blocks I'd done further in the past - were no longer holding up. And now the floor is shaking. And people are...talking about me...severely.



When I moved into the department, I definitely sensed animosity. I don't think it was all directed at me, I mean: I was new - how could they hate me so soon? Well, it turns out that this was entirely possible. In fact, it's possible to be hated on sight! My supervisor hated my guts almost immediately. I think she was forced into accepting me into the department - you know: I was tempin in another department...silent, sullen weirdo blah blah...but he works hard as hell...just keeps head down and works...makes some mistakes...but he works...whatever...




I think my supervisor was at odds with a lot of the people already, before I ever came along. So when I came along, it gave everybody a direction to target their hate. So instead of hating each other, they were able to unite under the common cause of HATING ME. So I was able to help out and unite the team!

4 comments:

PoisOn CoAtEd ELiXir said...

Ha!

But i hate the idea of understanding those who hurt me (or have done so in the past) because that implies that in doing so I have to downplay my self-obsession in understanding them and their actions, neglecting my own gloom.

Pacian said...

Don't think those fungi don't have to deal with these kinds of popularity contests, because they do.

Bobby said...

My self-obsession is all I have!

With those fungi: Did you notice how the groups form around the most attractive looking ones?

dmarks said...

Love the picture of the meerkats standing there.... Oh wait.