Sunday

Am I Too Self-Absorbed To Write About Issues?


I write a lot about my self, my situation, my place in the world. I am motivated to provide something useful from my own experience in the hope that it will benefit somebody, something that somebody can relate to. I am best able to write about myself. My contribution is in the more personal things that I experience - the experiences that I evaluate and share, because I think they could have meaning (and maybe value) to others.

I consume four hours of news per day, more if it’s slow at work. And lately, it’s slow at work. I think I could mount a pretty decent rant on an issue if I wanted to. Maybe I’m shirking my duty as an informed citizen by not opining. Opining can repel people though.

The one thing that I can tell you about with absolute expertise is me - my experience. I can give you my little piece of the world. You can fit that piece into your world view.

...sometimes, though, I just let the fingers fly on the keyboard with my brain set to CRAZY MODE and hit 'PUBLISH POST' when it's done...and the meaning may or may not be available...

7 comments:

dmarks said...

You're fine. There are plenty of us "Self-absorbed" bloggers out here writing about anything we want. Rant on!

lluviation said...

no, i think we are all self-absorbed. i mean, think about blogging...why do any of us write at all? what makes our opinions and lives so interesting and important that we feel this need to share with others?? and what makes us read about other people's own self-absorption? part of it is relating to the world in a very personal matter (aren't we one of the most self-centered nations there are?? i mean, our culture values the "I" above the "us")....in a way, we are all lonely to a degree, and in sharing our own experiences we are able to relate to one another and be a little less lonely. i don't see that as a bad thing, but the result of a lack of good conversationalists to interact with on a daily basis in person.

but obviously we are all relating something in your posts as we keep on reading and responding...

Margot said...

Hello,

My name is Margot and I'm the webmaster of http://www.salvia-divinorum-extract-now.com/
I wanted to know if you could do a paid unbiased review of our product/site.


Please let me know if you are interested.

Thank you,


Margot Bree

Pacian said...

I identify with that last paragraph...

Bobby said...

I'm trying to read this book called The Sociological Imagination. It's very very dense though, like reading straight philosophy. A key point made in this book is that a good study in sociology has to include the individual - the individual's plight as it fits into society's issues - the biography as well as history, psychology and other social sciences.

TaraDharma said...

bobby, thanks so much for stopping by and lending your support. life is getting better.

now, as to your question, remember what they told in creative writing courses: write what you know, write what you know. Kinda answers the question, huh?

the personal is universal, I have always found. You are dead on when you say your experience may have value to others. It DOES.

Peace.

PS Twitter intrigues me, but don't even get me started! I'm on internet overload on a normal day!
;-)

Billy said...

it is so good that we are getting the chance to share our experience with the world. good that we don't have to depend on some bigger head honcho to do it for us. trust me our experiences are films and art man to the maximum.