Wednesday

Disrupted Sleep Patterns, Horrible Videos and Steadfast(ly) (absent) Morals: A Rant


It’s 1:00 AM, and there’s no prospect of sleep, so I’m all over the internet. Inevitably I am faced with the prospect of watching some kind of horrible video - a video I know I shouldn’t watch - but which I am compelled to watch because of my terrible curiosity. If I had a dashboard for my morality, I wonder how the dials would read as I watch some of these videos. Would the needles twitch when I actually decide to watch the video and click on the video? As I watch the video, are my morals shifting? Are these videos changing me? Maybe all the gauges are busted on my morality dashboard. What would an amoralist dashboard look like? I just watched a video that made me never want to have kids - never want to subject a teen to the horrors that other teens will inflict. This video is all over the net right now. You probably know what video I'm talking about.

Sorry, no link.

Maybe watching these videos is necessary - bearing witness - maybe it is making me a better person, because it makes me feel such horrendous pity for some of the characters in the endless stream of videos that makes it to the internet. Maybe instead of being desensitized to violence, I’m becoming more sensitized to violence by seeing these horrible videos. Maybe my moral gauges are not moving a single tick - neither up nor down - no matter what I see out there.

5 comments:

Cindy-Lou said...

I wonder why she didn't fight back. If that was me I would be getting in as many hits as possible. Maybe she knew she couldn't win but the hell I wouldn't be causing as much pain as I could.

evil-e said...

It's like watching a car wreck--you have to. I does not make you bad, immoral or anything like that, it is just a testimony to your humanity.

Thanks for stopping in earlier, I am just paying a visit in kind. I have read some pretty good stuff here.

The Mighty Kat said...

Good question. I wish I had been able to resist watching it. Between that and the interviews with escapees from the Warren Jeffs cult this week, I got pretty down. At least I think I wish I hadn't watched. Like you speculate, I wonder whether seeing these things helps us in any way...

Bobby said...

That mess happened the next county over. I live in Lake County. Crazy. Florida people are mean.

Pernicious said...

Dude,

Some things you see you just can't unsee. That is the honest truth.

Pernicious