Friday

I was leaving the YMCA, and I saw a little kid and his mom walking into the neighborhood across the street. The little kid had just finished his karate class at the Y, he had his karate suit on - his gi. The mother was holding the kid's hand as they walked...or...the kid was holding his mom's hand. He seemed to lead the way. I can guess what the kid was thinking. He's fresh out of karate class - even though he's only five years old - he's ready to defend his mom against any attacker - using round house kicks, jabs and flying sidekicks if necessary.

I remember how I used to think when I came out of karate class, when I was five or six years old. I felt cocky. I remember in kindergarden actually saying the following to another kid in my class, "I could beat up a grown-up if I had to."

"Me too," said the other kid.

5 comments:

Search Engine Optimization said...

Aside from the complex physical connections that make up its infrastructure, the Internet is facilitated by bi- or multi-lateral commercial contracts (e.g., peering agreements), and by technical specifications or protocols that describe how to exchange data over the network. Indeed, the Internet is essentially defined by its interconnections and routing policies.

As of December 30, 2007, 1.319 billion people use the Internet according to Internet World Stats. Writing in the Harvard International Review, philosopher N.J. Slabbert, a writer on policy issues for the Washington, D.C.–based Urban Land Institute, has asserted that the Internet is fast becoming a basic feature of global civilization, so that what has traditionally been called "civil society" is now becoming identical with information technology society as defined by Internet use. - web design company, web designer, web design india

billy said...

my nephew in atlanta is a karate freak. i remember one time he broke another boys tooth with a kick man. damn and he was only 4.

PoisOn CoAtEd ELiXir said...

My parents never allowed me to take one of those-not that i ever wanted to (in any case)! Standing at a spot and listening to instructions that someone might throw at me-was never really my cup of tea. to add to this i was already trouble enough for my folks; except for that one time when i saved one of my friends from a kidnapper when i was about6. but then, in that case too i really didn't need to use my limbs. all i did was scream as loudly as to collect the whole neighborhood ;)
but then again, i think the whole karate class business was set up in order to make u feel that u can, cause in dire times its not always the tricks that you learned in class which come to your mind.

P.S: I have been wandering in the dark.
Intermittently i wrote a short story-

http://thejoypop.blogspot.com/2008/04/esta-tarde-this-afternoon.html

Bobby said...

My nephew - god save us all if he learned Karate. He'd go Bruce Lee on gangs and gangs.

P.C.E. I was wondering where you were.

Remiman said...

bobby,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Karate, yup all three of my kids took it and as yet they haven't beaten anybody up. ;)
rel