Sunday

When I was 19, I was working as a busboy in a pretty fancy restaurant in Portsmouth, Virginia, where I'm from, and I met this guy who I thought was the coolest guy I'd ever met. He was afraid of the dark, and it was so funny. He came running out of a dark storage room one time, and I said, "What's wrong man? What's back there?" And he said, "Nothin, I'm just afraid of the dark." For some reason, I thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever heard in my life. And he had cool clothes and cool hair, and he always said cool stuff.

He was a waiter at the restaurant. The waiters and waitresses are supposed to share a percentage of their tips with he busboys for the services rendered, you know, and he used to tip me out the best out of the whole wait staff. That also added to his coolness factor with me.

He told me about how he played varsity basketball, and his team was the most terrible team ever because they took barbiturates and all kinds of other pills and drugs of all kinds, and they showed up for their games completely wasted and flopped around on the floor and got beaten every time like three hundred to zero.

Anyway, one day I asked him what kind of music he liked, and he said he liked Wire and Television. Wire? Television? I'd never heard of these bands. So right away I checked them out. Here is a video by Television and one by Wire.



8 comments:

Canopenner said...

Im afraid of the dark too...

Not like a dark room but the great unknown especially what happens when I stop breathing.

Is that just as cool?

lyzne said...

the band is better than the object or anything that's on it. except a couple things.

what's this about train tracks on mars? and where do i buy tickets for this transmartian express?
can i wear my purple shoes there?

oh sorry, you're not ask jeeves. do you mind if i just leave these questions here for reference later?

thanx for the music!
~l

whimsical brainpan said...

I've heard of Wire before but not Television. Thanks for the intro!

Bobby said...

No matter how afraid of the dark you are, do not go toward the light.

The transmartian express is a subsidized mess.

With an intro like that, a person might want to run the other way.

potentially lethal said...

On the other hand, go toward the light...

Anonymous said...

The television show the Wire is also good.

Bobby said...

P.L.: So you're on Myspace now?

Yeah, the Wire's great. When I left off, they were following the longshoremen. I was netflicking them.

Visceral said...

Open windows, when it's dark outside and light inside, I'd rather be in the dark too. It is then that I could see and not be seen.