Saturday

Ouch, My Back


My back's been hurting me. It's not that severe right now, but a couple of months ago, it got so bad, I was laid up for a few days. I couldn’t figure out the exact cause of it then. I had gone to the gym one morning, and then I was hunched over my computer all that afternoon - computer on the coffee table, me on the couch. That evening I tried to get up, and pains shot down through my legs, and I couldn’t straighten all the way up. All I wanted to do was lay on the floor, on my back, with my heels pulled up into my butt. It’s not that bad right now, but I do feel some pain in there. I hope my back doesn’t get as bad as my sister’s back.

My sister was working in a daycare center, and she reached over a chain link fence to pick up a kid. The kid started kicking and fighting, and the strain blew her back out. She ruptured a disc. They operated on her, and she was okay for a while, but then it went out on her again. They tell her now that it’s degenerative, it’s only going to get worse. She’s actually on the fentanyl patch. Fentanyl is like 50 or 80 times more powerful than morphine. It amazes me that they make it in a patch...but then...they make a painkilling lollipop out of the stuff, so I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised.

Once my sister slaps one of those fentanyl patches on, she’s in for quite a trip. She’s trying to get off of them. She doesn’t want to be all doped up like that. But as her pain increases, they have to up her dosages, upgrade her meds. Sometimes when I see her, she’ll be fine and coherent and lucid, but then she’ll take one of her stronger meds, and she just gets wasted. Then the medicine gradually wears off, and she’s back with us again. It’s scary. The doctors seem to intimate that it’s a one way street with her back pain. I hope they can advance other treatments before she gets too far into the fog.

7 comments:

lluviation said...

has she tried an alternative medicine type stuff? i know those drugs are alwful...

Pacian said...

Sounds horrible. :-(

whimsical brainpan said...

Sorry to hear about your back and you sister's. Have either of you tried alternatives? I know plenty of people who swear by their chiropractor or acupuncture. Me, I swear by my massage therapist. If it wasn't for her I'd be on pain meds constantly.

Bobby said...

She's on SSI so some her treatment options are limited. It's really a pretty sad story with my sister.

Cindy-Lou said...

Did you injure your back or does it just hurt randomly?

Bobby said...

I never had a serious injury to my back. I think it's just gradually gotten messed up over time. I'm hoping I can get on the machines at the Y and build up some back muscles.

PoisOn CoAtEd ELiXir said...

i have been away for a while and missed being here.

this is a scary post.

and painkillers are the best kind of dope you can ever get, and also anti-allergies.