Saturday



I'm at work trying to knock out masses of tasks when I get a call from Fedex - my shipment was set up improperly by the Fedex Kinkos store guy, and they’re going to send it back - mementos and gifts from our wedding...too much stuff to lug onto the plane.

I'm at work trying to knock out masses of tasks when I get a call from Comcast - they want to give me cable TV. The internet-only package I currently have, apparently, costs more than their new internet + cable package. A couple weeks before, they'd disconnected my internet by mistake...and a couple weeks before that too.



I'm standing in a bar a couple nights before my wedding - a guy steps up beside me and puts one hand on my chest and one hand on my back and tries to toss me out of the way, saying, "ExCUse me."



In the rental car we rented for the wedding weekend, we found the funeral bulletin for a woman named Sylvia. The people who rented the car September 13th left it under the seat, and it finally slid out.



The reasons and circumstances involved in other people's contacts with you...that seem random to you...but which may be deliberate...as deliberate as we humans are able to define...or more so...or less so...I was going somewhere with this...but now I don't know where I'm going with this.

8 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

Congratulations on the marriage!

I think even the most random contact with a person has an affect on our lives to some degree.

Radiohumper said...

That's funny. I was just thinking to myself that my favorite stuff to read usually starts with somebody using or wanting something that somebody else threw away or lost.



I like the way you stitch together these little memeory-quilt-blocks of your life moments with the stream of your thoughts.

Uh, I thought I knew where I was going with this....

foam said...

i also like they way you piece together your random acts of people contact.
however,i did want to punch the guy who shoved you out of the way in the bar like that ..
i find people contact like that extremely annoying.

Bobby said...

whimsical brainpan: I agree, I think we need more contact. I know I do. I need to push out of my bubble and interact more. I'm too far into my own head, I think.

Radiohumper: That sounds like a great writing prompt! I wrote a poem one time about going to the dump and picking out stuff before the incinerator guy incinerated the stuff - - I should revise.

foam: Believe me, I really wanted to punch that dude and then some. He messed with more than once that night. I didn't go after him (I never do) . . . I just got it into my head: "Okay. This guy wants to fight me. He's about to attack. I'm just going to get ready now." And I became hyper-aware. And then the next thing I knew, he was gone. Him and his whole crowd. I was rattled. It sucked. I haven't been in a fight in ten years.

The Phosgene Kid said...

Married? Don't know whether to feel sorry for you or congratulate you! Mrs. Phos and I are going on 32 years now and so far so good. I do have something going for me though, as I am slowly going deaf her voice has turned into that unpleasant buzz in the background. Nice airplane photos. I always like to sit by the wing - possibly the worst place in the event of a crash because the wing is also the fuel tank, but there is something reassuring seeing it still attached to the plane. Best wishes to you and your new wife.

Annie said...

that wing shot is so cool. plus, you think weirdly. also cool.it helps to be weird when the world goes mad.

love is real-not fade away. so glad you both found it. :)

Bobby said...

Phos: 32 years? Holy smoke! You ever see the Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner riding on a plane and the gremlin creature is out on the wing ripping pieces off of it? Yeah.

Annie: When the world goes mad it'll make perfect sense to me. Love: it was not an easy find.

ComcastCares1 said...

Congratulations on the marriage!

I read that your Comcast service was disconnected in error - sorry about that. I would like to help to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Please send me the phone number on the account so that I can help.

Best Regards,

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com