Friday

Another Big Headline About Planets OUT THERE

These articles lately about discoveries of planets around nearby stars in the skies - and our abilities to study them: They really throw me into sci-fi mode. They also throw me into armchair social scientist mode...and they also throw me into hairbrained-quack-kook theorist mode. Hairbrained-quack-kook theorist mode can be a lot of fun. Anybody can be a theorist. (I write 'theorist' on applications and forms in the blank for OCCUPATION.)

Obviously, we wouldn’t be able to travel the trillions of miles to visit these planets...which are only faint dots on a monitor at this point...and indeed: they have yet to find a planet out there that seems like it could support life...but...according to this quote of a quote via AP science writer Seth Borenstein:
It's only a matter of time before "we get a dot that's blue and Earthlike," said astronomer Bruce Macintosh of the Lawrence Livermore National Lab.

If we can receive an image of the place, we can receive light from the place right? ...we could receive signal from the place...we could send signal to the place then, logically, right? We can’t get our bodies back and forth to there. But we can get some signal going back and forth.

Linguists and code crackers could decipher their signals maybe. Maybe a common language could be formed. Maybe we could connect our internet with their internet, connect our satellite communications with theirs. Maybe we’ll be reading their blogs some day. How different will they be from us? Are there certain aspects and elements of society that are universal? Do they have elections? A left and a right? Do they have graffiti? Hackers? Maybe they’ll hack our communications. Are we worth hacking? Maybe they are already hacking us. Maybe they already have blogs on 'our' internet. Maybe my blog is one of them. Maybe I'm a space alien. You don't know. Maybe me and my pointy-eared, big-brained, compadres from the other planet are easing you into the idea, right now, that there are other bloggers out there on other planets.

15 comments:

Billy said...

super mad maybes. maybe we are maybes. wonder how their internet is man? damn!

Bobby said...

Dude, you're the one who got me started thinking about this stuff. That thing you wrote about viruses getting loaded from the webs to our brains - that really got me going!

Pacian said...

Course those IM conversations would last a good few centuries, the speed of light being what it is.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

That would be cool to know if there are others osut there.. If we can communicate with our minds why use the internet at all?

we know that they know that we know they exsist..spooky.. I guess..

I'm no kook..

laura b. said...

Now, me, I am a little bit of a kook for stuff like this. I say -we are not alone! That's right.

NoRegrets said...

OF course, having just read The Sparrow and thinking about the time thing, well, you'd have to have some people on earth who would be sure their children would listen for the response. Right? I think so...

Celticspirit said...

Do you think that we have to find a blue dot that's Earthlike in order to find a planet that supports life? I believe there are many forms of life that probably exist out there.

Have you ever heard of a planet called Nibiru? I think it's spelled right. I saw it on the AOL news awhile back and it will supposedly be coming close to the Earth in a few years.

Ashley said...

Sci-fi about space aliens is one thing I don't like to read, watch or write. It freaks me out too much. There are just too many possibilities.

Bobby said...

Pacian: We need an upgrade. For light. Somebody should invent faster light. Wow, what if that happened? "Skullbolt Corporation is proud to announce: We have just created a quicker and more efficient form of light."

Mrs. Hairy Woman: I'm a kook, and I think that we will one day project our thoughts across the galaxy and be heard and pick up thoughts projected at us. Maybe we are all cells in a brain - the galaxy is just one big brain.

Laura B.: When you think in terms of infinity (our human ability to think in terms of infinity) - it seems impossible that there is NOT life out there. Infinity should mean everything and anything, right? No such thing as impossible when you have enough opportunities. Infinity is a lot of opportunities.

Noregrets: The Sparrow...that sounds interesting a generational tie-in ... Children can definitely hear better. Like they can hear higher tones. Reminds me of that invention, the Mosquito. It sends an irritating, high pitched tone that only kids can hear. Shop keepers blare them to drive away kids from their storefront (which is messed up.) Also, kids have those ringers on their cell phones that are so high pitched, only they can hear them. Teachers can't. Kids pick up languages much faster - their capacity for learning is greater...

celticspirit: I've never heard of Nibiru...I have wondered about that first point too: does it have to be carbon-based, water-drinking, oxygen-breathing life? Maybe there are some helium breathers out there or something like that, you know? On these huge, gassy planets like Jupiter, maybe there are life forms that we would consider more like ghosts. Maybe that's what happens when a planet dies. It just becomes a swirl of gasses and ghosts.

ashley: I feel that. It's exhilerating. But who knows how one will feel until one is actually confronted with it face to face. Like if they announced tomorrow morning that they had actually found life somewhere out there, I'm pretty sure that there would be a general panic. And I'd be one of the ones panicking!!

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I always find astronomy fascenating. Carl Sagan was like a folk hero to me. :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'd like to send a few inmates into the unknowning darkside of nowhere.

dmarks said...

Carl Sagan had a part in "Broca's Brain" about the liklihood of space aliens. He went on and on and on, but in this area, he had no idea what he was talking about. He was generalizing for the entire universe based on not-entirely-known processes for one planet.

foam said...

well, you know ..
i had kind of thought you were an alien already ..
don't disappoint me now ..

Bobby said...

Indigo: I took an astronomy class in college. It was pretty cool. A lot more math than I predicted... It was fun though. We had a decent telescope in a rotating dome thing outside. I wish I remember more from that class.

Jr: To the moon like Alice?

Dmarks: Any kind of theories would have to be wide open. You know what I don't understand, and there's certainly an infinite amount of science and math behind it, but string theory: How do they know it's strings? That probably sounds like the dumbest question ever - but I don't get how they can be so sure it's strings. Why not clouds?

Foam: I'm glad you're accepting this without freaking out.

Billy said...

Bobby do you know about Nibiru?