Sunday

Go Easy on Me When You Start Reading My Thoughts

The 60 Minutes story about people operating computers using only their thoughts and some of the other stories lately about EEG, "measurement of electrical activity produced by the brain as recorded from electrodes placed on the scalp," has got my mind racing.

You know that this technology will only get more efficient and advanced. That is the inevitable thing that technology does - it improves. Soon our brains will be like little wifi-ready computing/thinking units that can be read by other computing/thinking units and gadgets. We'll be reading each other's thoughts.

I guess you will be able to get the equivalent of an tinfoil hat - a blocking technology - a force field around your brains that will prevent people from peepin at your thoughts. But some folks will be able to hack it just like hackers always find ways to hack everything.

Maybe it will bring about a new accountability once we can all see each other's thoughts. We will achieve a supreme empathy. Will we cull certain undesirable thoughts and intentions...because they are rejected by the viewing public... How much of a shock will it be to see the thoughts of others? Does it depend on the person? What about people who think weird thoughts...and really can't help it... Maybe our weird thoughts won't seem so weird when we see the weird thoughts of others.

11 comments:

Celticspirit said...

I didn't see the 60 minutes story but really....I don't know if I want to know the thoughts of others. That could be kinda scary! A tinfoil hat huh? They used those in that Mel Gibson movie Signs. haha....I don't think it worked. Your blog is quite interesting and I'll read some more of it later. Have a good week.

foam said...

.... i know what it will lead to ..
an explosion in the tinfoil hat fashion industry ..
yep ..
my mind is racing right now designing all kinds of tinfoil hats ..

Tara said...

We'll all have to wear helmets like Magneto.

Bobby said...

It's settled. I'm going into the thought blocking helmet business. Would you folks like to place an order?

Tara said...

I'll take a red one, please.

Pacian said...

A kind of brain-scan polygraph already exists - though whether it's any more effective than previous lie detectors is a matter of debate.

Bobby said...

Red it is, Tara. Allow six weeks for delivery.

Pacian, whenever I lie, my brain expands and pushes on the back of my eyeballs.

laura b. said...

Wow. I have lived my life counting on the fact that my thoughts, at least, are private. Sign me up for the hat...heck, one for every day of the week!

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

You should read Asimov's "Foundation" series. In that one, a conclave of clever psychologists gradually developed telepathy and thus were able to understand humanity better than any group in human history. They used their powers not to control, but to elicit subtle, positive change in human development. In the story, the Galactic Empire had fallen and the psychologists were trying to get civilization back on its feet.

Bobby said...

Wow, Laura, I think I might do pretty well in this new business.

Indigo, that's what I'm wondering! If we had that level of empathy - if we really saw what each person was going through inside their heads - wouldn't we get along so much better?

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I think if humanity developed more empathy that our society would be a LOT better. I think the majority of the problems our society has is that people allow themselves to think of others as lesser creatures (just look at how Christians treat gay paople!)