Thursday

Happy Thanksgiving

Glancing outside, I can see that most of my neighbors decided not to hit the roads for the holiday. My wife and I went with that option as well. She’s actually working a few hours today.

The headlines predicted lower volume on the roads for Thanksgiving. This economy. We’ll have a nice cozy thanksgiving together. I’m just used to a bigger turnout on holidays.

We’ll probably stay here for Christmas too. We saw everybody during the wedding, and I personally am out of vacation days and spendable cash etc...etc...

I spent Christmas of 2006 alone actually. And it felt unnatural. Luckily, that’s the only time I ever did that. I’ve always been lucky enough to have family around for Christmas. But in 2006, some plans fell through at a point when it was pretty much too late to try to come up with new plans...to travel anywhere, and I ended up being here in Florida alone on Christmas. My wife was in Virginia with her mom and brother. I have a sister and a subsequent branch of family in Virginia too, and I have a sister and a subsequent branch of family in North Carolina as well. But for Christmas 2006, I was going to hook up with my nephew, who was living a couple hours north in Ocala, Florida...but it kinda never happened...his plans got all jacked up.

It was weird being alone on Christmas. I would just go for these long drives. There were bars open with people in them. But I didn’t stop in. I drove by...they had their doors propped open. It was really warm that night. Early in the day we had one of our weird winter-time tornados. It ripped through the forest north of my my place in Eustis.

...wow, I was going somewhere with all of this, but now I can’t remember where that was (why do I do that).

I guess: just...have some happy holidays, and if you’re with people, enjoy their company...and if you’re alone, maybe there’s a bar that’s open...that you can drive by. You could go in too.

5 comments:

foam said...

yes, it would be weird beling alone over the holidays. we are so conditioned to the expectation of family togetherness. i've always been lucky in that regard.
anyway, i hope you had a nice thanksgiving and may you have a great christmas season.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I was alone once for the holidays and it was kinda depressing.. No bars opened till noon and I had no cash on hand.. so I watched movies and hung out with my cat.. The good old days of being single.. I don't miss those days..

laura b. said...

Staying in, just the two of you, sounds very good. Hope you had a delicious day.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I prefer "alone time" ... that is ... if it's with family. Hope your holidays were wonderful.

Tara said...

I have yet to spend a Thanksgiving or Christmas alone. I may have spent New Year's Eve alone, but that was okay.